Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Federal Street and Pleasant Valley Passenger Railway Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the New York Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8" (h).
This piece has a great vignette of a trio of horse heads.
The Federal Street and Pleasant Valley Passenger Railway Company was chartered in March of 1868. The line was completed on or about October 15 of that same year.
The line was consolidated with the Peoples' Park Passenger Railway Company and the Observatory Hill Passenger Railway Company on July 12, 1889.
The company had a number of routes including:
Irwin Avenue Division (main line) - From car house, Charles Street, Allegheny, to Taggart, to Brighton, to West End Avenue, to Fremont, to Jackson, to Monterey, to North Avenue, toFederal, to Ohio, to Sandusky, to Lacock, to Anderson, to bridge, across bridge to Duquesne Way, to Seventh Street, to Liberty, to Sixth Avenue, to Central Station, return via Smithfield, to Seventh Avenue, to Liberty, to Ninth Street, to bridge, to Anderson, to Monterey, to Taylor Avenue, to Irwin Avenue, to Washington Avenue, to Taggart, to Sarah, to car house.
Madison Avenue Division - Car house, East Street, to North Avenue, to Sandusky, to Ohio, to Union Avenue, to Church, to Anderson, to bridge, to Ninth, to Liberty, to Seventh Avenue, to Smithfield, to post office, returning via main line to North Avenue; thence to stable on East Street by original route.
Perrysville Avenue Division - From station on Perrysville Avenue, near city line, to Federal, to Ohio, connect with main line to Central Station, return via same route.
California Avenue Division - From station near Wood's run, on California Avenue, to Sedgewick, to Washington Avenue - Fremont Street connect with main line to Central Station, return via same route to Montgomery Avenue, to Arch, to Jackson, to Fremont, and thence to station as before.
Mount Troy Division - From car house on Lowrie Street, to Gardner, to Troyhill Road, to William, to Green, to Second, to East, to North Avenue, to Sandusky Street, connect with Madison Avenue division, to post office, return via same route to North Avenue, to Madison, to Perry, to Troyhill Road, to car house.