Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Fairmount Park Transportation Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
The Fairmount Park Transportation Company was incorporated in New Jersey on December 14, 1894.
The company began the operation of a street railway line in Fairmount Park and constructed the Power Station to generate the necessary electricity. This took place more than twenty-five years after Fairmount Park had been established, and in planning the details of the trolley project, care was taken to preserve the restful ambiance of the park which had been created and preserve the natural setting as far as possible. All structures were designed to blend with their surroundings. The Power Station is one of three major structures of the system that remain; the other two are the Strawberry Mansion Bridge and the Car Barn.
The trolley was routed through the Fairmount Park in a one-way system, and the section from Belmont Mansion to the Car Barn was laid out on the bed of the 1834 Inclined Plane built for the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad from the Columbia Bridge to the Belmont Plateau. To protect the ambiance of the park, the overhead wires were as unobtrusive as possible, and grass was sown between the tracks so that only the two iron rails indicated where the line ran. Safety and beauty were both considerations in the construction of twenty stone arches, viaducts and iron bridges to avoid grade crossings.
The route was a loop that carried passengers through remote portions of the park which had not been built up for the Centennial, such as the Chamonix Lakes that had provided water for the Washington Print Works of William Simpson before being taken over by the park.
The trolleys also stopped at Woodside Park, an amusement park built and operated by the Philadelphia Transportation Company. To travel in one of the open trolleys throughout Fairmount Park was a summer recreation long savored by Philadelphians, but this ended in 1946 when operations ceased. All the equipment was sold at auction on November 5 and 6, 1946, and everything except permanent structures were removed by the purchasers.