Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Elliptical Wheel Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the company's elliptical wheel design.
The Elliptical Wheel Company was incorporated in Chicago, Illinois in 1913.
The company claimed to have developed a wheel that would revolutionize automobile wheel and tire world.
Each spoke of the new wheel was made of steel and was shaped like the letter "S." The outside diameter of the hub was large, and the distance between the hub and rim was comparatively short. The rim was of steel and was about 7/16 of an inch in thickness. Each "S" spoke was placed in the wheel under 250 pounds pressure.
When at rest the wheel was perfectly circular, but when under pressure it assumed a slightly elliptical form, thus expending all concussion force on a line at right
angles to the line of pressure. In this action, vibration - declared to be the most expensive evil in the wheel using world - was eliminated.
Speaking of his wheel and its merits, the inventor (A. F. Priest, who has signed this piece) said:
"The Elliptical Wheel embodies a shock absorbing principle in which the forces of concussion are utilized to create traction, reducing rebound of wheel from impact, as compared with properly inflated pneumatics, by more than 50 per cent, all conditions of speed, load and force being equal. Ordinary solid tire mileage is largely increased due to yielding wheel center."
Despite the loft goals, the company never did revolutionize the industry and eventually went bankrupt.