Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the East Hartford and Glastonbury Horse Railroad Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 13" (w) by 10" (h).
This certificate's vignette features an eagle atop a shield and some arrows.
The East Hartford and Glastonbury Horse Railroad Company was incorporated in Connecticut in 1866 to build a line between the two named cities.
The company never was able to complete the line, and in 1886 the Hartford and Weathersfield Horse Railroad Company took over and finished the project.
In 1899, the company's name was changed to the East Hartford and Glastonbury Street Railway, with the Hartford Street Railway assuming control of the company's stock.
The company operated about 9 1/2 miles of track.