Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Des Chutes Railroad Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by the Blass & Prudhomme Company of Portland and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
The vignette on this piece features a great head on shot of a locomotive.
Very scarce piece.
You will receive the exact certficate pictured.
The Des Chutes Railroad, was chartered on February 2, 1906 as a plan for E. H. Harriman to build south from the Columbia River, across central Oregon and south to California. The new company was in response to James Hill's building his own line, known as the Oregon Trunk Railroad, south from the Columbia River, to California, following the west side of the Deschutes River.
When Hill's construction crews started building along the west side of the river, Harriman sent his own construction gangs to build along the same route, but on the opposite, east side of the river. Competition was fierce for the first 75 miles, until Hill's Oregon Trunk Railroad was forced by the geographic lay of the land to cross over to the eastern side. From that point, to be known as North Junction, a compromise was reached that allowed the Oregon Trunk to operate over the Des Chutes Railroad for a distance of 12 miles to a location known as South Junction. From there, the Oregon Trunk built its own tracks and operated separately for another 25 miles to Metolius, at which point the Des Chutes Railroad ceased construction and agreed to use Oregon Trunk rails for the final 41 miles to Bend.
In 1987, the line was merged into the Oregon Short Line, which immediately became part of the Union Pacific.