Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from Derby, Connecticut dating back to the 1890's. This document, which is signed by the city Mayor and Treasurer, was printed by Dominck Brown Lith. of New York and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 14 3/4" (h).
The certificate's vignette features the Connecticut State Seal flanked by male and female figures and a pair of cherubs.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Derby is located in New Haven County, Connecticut, approximately 8 miles west-northwest of New Haven, in southwest Connecticut at the confluence of the Housatonic and Naugatuck Rivers. It borders the cities of Ansonia to the north and Shelton to the southwest, and the towns of Orange to the south, Seymour to the northwest, and Woodbridge to the east. The population was 12,903 at the 2010 census. It is the smallest city in Connecticut by area at 5.3 square miles.
Derby was settled in 1642 as an Indian trading post under the name Paugasset. It was named after Derby, England, in 1675. It included what is now Ansonia, Seymour, Oxford, and parts of Beacon Falls. Derby is home to the first electric trolley system in New England, only the second in the United States. It is also home to the first electric locomotive in U.S. history to be built and successfully used commercially for hauling freight. The locomotive, built in 1888, is still kept in running condition by the Shore Line Trolley Museum.