Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Cumberland Telephone & Telegraph Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the St. Louis Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
Beautiful piece shows an old wall phone at the bottom right and a full width underprint of telegraph poles.
Please note ragged right and lower margins. Please review scans carefully.
In 1883 the Cumberland Telephone and Telegraph Company was organized in Henderson, Kentucky, where its headquarters remained until 1888. E.S. Babcock Jr. was president, E.T. Baker secretary and Paul J. Mars superintendent and general manager.
In 1899 the company acquired control of the Ohio Valley Telephone Company, the territory of which included the city of Louisville. In 1900 the Ohio Valley Company was merged with the Cumberland Telephone and Telegraph Company.
The headquarters of the Cumberland company were moved to Nashville in 1888 and it was purchased by Southern Bell in 1912, but continued to operate in the name of the Cumberland company until July 1, 1926, when its name was changed to Southern Bell.
At the same time Cumberland was incorporated, a sister company by the name of Great Southern Telephone & Telegraph Company was formed by some of the same people. The two companies merged in early 1898, according to incorporation records at the county court clerk's office.