Beautifully engraved antique specimen stock certificate from the Cuban National Syndicate dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the Hamilton Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's great vignette features a lighthouse within a seaside fortress.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Charles Francis Flynn (who has signed this piece as the company Vice President) arrived in Cuba in 1914 and used his knowledge of construction to build Havana's Oriental Park race course and then served as the Vice President and Manager of the Havana American Jockey Club.
Prohibition loomed around the corner when Flynn took New York hotelman John McEntee Bowman to Havana in 1919. Flynn showed Bowman a ten-story office building and suggested he turn it into a hotel. Bowman like what he saw in Cuba, and Havana's best hotel of the 1920's - the Sevilla Biltmore, opened on New Year's Eve 1919.
Cuban and North American social elites made themselves at home at the Sevilla's salon, when they weren't at the race track, country club or casino.
With the hotel launched, Flynn put together the Cuban National Syndicate and introduced syndicate chief Bowman to Frank Steinhart and other Cuban investors.
Bowman had a passion for horses as well as hotels, and the Syndicate took over the operation of Oriental Park in Marianao, with a two year option to by the track. Steinhart, as an officer of the Cuban-American Jockey Club and Syndicate investor (and owner of the trolley line to Marianao,) made the annoucement.
The Syndicate also acquired the Casino Marianao and a tract of land on the coast west of the city on which to build the town of Biltmore. With its palatial clubs, hotels, golf, polo and tennis grounds, and yacht harbor, Biltmore would house racing fans much as Country Club Park accomodated golfers.