Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Crafton Coal and Supply Company dating back to the 1910's. This document is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Goes, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate's detailed primary vignette features a mining scene. There are six smaller mining scenes contained within the certificate's border.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Crafton Coal and Supply Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1922.
Crafton is named after James S. Craft, a frontier attorney who was granted land near the "forks of the Ohio" in present-day Oakland. The sale of this land part financed purchases of land in the Chartiers valley. Charles Craft, son of James, divided the land into lots on the death of his father and submitted it to the Allegheny County Courthouse as Crafton. Following a period of building, the borough was incorporated in 1882, with Charles as the first burgess.
Crafton was linked to downtown Pittsburgh by trolley in 1896. The service ended when the Fort Pitt Bridge was built without trolley tracks.