Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Columbia Graphophone Manufacturing Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Treasurer, was a printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a pair of allegorical angel figures flanking the company logo.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1889, the trade name Graphophone began to be utilized by Columbia Phonograph Company as the name for their version of the phonograph. Columbia Phonograph Company, originally established by a group of entrepreneurs licensed by the American Graphophone Company to retail graphophones in Washington DC, ultimately acquired American Graphophone Company in 1893. In 1904, Columbia Phonograph Company established itself in Toronto, Canada. Two years later, in 1906, the American Graphophone company reorganized and changed its name to Columbia Graphophone Company to reflect its association with Columbia. In 1918, Columbia Graphophone Company reorganized to form a retailer, Columbia Graphophone Company - and a manufacturer, Columbia Graphophone Manufacturing Company.
In 1922, Columbia Phonograph, as the American Columbia Records was then known, sold its UK subsidiary Columbia Graphophone. However, in 1925 Columbia Graphophone bought its former parent for $2.5 million. In 1926, both Odeon Records and Parlophone Records were acquired. On 21 April 1931, the Gramophone Company and the Columbia Graphophone Company merged and formed a new company, Electric and Musical Industries (EMI). American anti-trust laws forced EMI to sell its American Columbia operations.