Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Co-Operative Pure Milk Association dating back to the mid 1900's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Standard Register Co. of Dayton and measures approximately 10 7/8" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features a trio of great vignettes. A farming scene at the left and a Colonial house at the right flank the association's logo of two arms shaking hands.
The Co-Operative Pure Milk Association was incorporated in Ohio on September 10, 1923 and was based in Cincinnati.
Because local dairy farmers were not getting a decent milk price from processors, they saw a need to join together to bargain for a better price. The co-operative bought milk from dairy farmers in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Pennsylvania.
However, milk processors didn’t want dairy farmers to have the clout to set prices. So the Pure Milk Co-operative started processing their own milk and established retail routes to sell in the Cincinnati area. They were successful.
This upset processors and they started a price war that was costly for both themselves and the co-operative.
Eventually the co-operative won the battle and the processors started working with them.
At one time the Pure Milk Association was the largest co-operative in the United States involved in the retail milk business.