Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling Railway Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Homer Lee Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a pair of vignettes - a train at the left and an oceanliner at port on the right.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The history of this company dates back to the incorporation of the Lake Shore and Tuscarawas Valley Railway Company on July 2, 1870. On October 21, 1872, this company purchased from the Elyria and Black River Railway Company (incorporated December 20, 1871), the road from Elyria to Black River Harbor, eight miles in length. On March 5, 1873, the company filed a supplemental certificate for the extension of its line into Washington Township. The company becoming embarrassed and unable to meet its interest on first mortgage bonds, suit was brought to foreclose the mortgage, and in July, 1874, a receiver was appointed. On January 30, 1875, the property was sold at judicial sale to Selah Chamberlain and by him conveyed to five others, who organized a new Cleveland, Tuscarawas Valley and Wheeling Railway Company, February 5, 1875.
On March 21, 1877, the company filed a certificate for building a line from Uhrichsville, via Bridgeport, to a point on the Ohio river at West Wheeling. On March 1, 1883, the certificate of the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling Railroad Company was filed. This incorporation was the result of the sale of the Cleveland, Tuscarawas Valley and Wheeling Railway. On April 25, 1887, the Cleveland and Southwestern Railway Company was incorporated for building a railroad from Cleveland to Zanesville, Ohio. On May 11, 1893, the Cleveland, Tuscarawas Valley and Wheeling Railroad Company was consolidated with the Cleveland and Southwestern Railway Company, taking the name of the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling Railway Company, the certificate of incorporation being filed the same day.
The line of road extended from Cleveland and Black River Harbor (Lorain) to Bridgeport, on the Ohio river opposite Wheeling, WV, with branch lines from Bridgeport to Bellaire, Ohio, and to Martins Ferry, Ohio. The road passed through the counties of Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, Wayne, Summit, Stark, Tuscarawas, Harrison and Belmont.
The total length of main line and branches was 192.30 miles. Eventually, this line became part of the mighty Baltimore & Ohio.