Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the International Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate's fantastic vignette features a close up of an oncoming train.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railway had its beginning as The Akron Branch of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad Company which was built from Hudson to Akron in 1852. The name of the company was changed in 1853 to The Cleveland, Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad Company and continued construction to Millersburg, 48.6 miles from Akron, in 1854. This last named company was succeeded in ownership by the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway Company in 1865, which company built 3.5 miles south of Millersburg in 1868. The property was sold in 1869 to The Pittsburgh, Mt. Vernon, Columbus and London Railroad Company whose name was changed to Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company the same year. This latter company completed the line into Columbus in 1873, it went into receivership in 1880 and was reorganized as The Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railway Company in 1885.
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company had a substantial stock interest in the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company until the receivership of 1880. The Pennsylvania Company acquired control of The Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railway Company in 1899. This railroad formed part of the through line between Cleveland and Cincinnati.
On July 1, 1911 the Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railway was consolidated with the Cincinnati & Muskingum Valley Railroad to form the Cleveland, Akron & Cincinnati Railway.