Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Citizens Bank of Michigan City, Indiana dating back to the 1800's. This document was printed by Brown, Pettibone & Co. of Chicago and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
The certificate's vignette features a great view of a busy city harbor.
The Citizens Bank of Michigan City, Indiana was incorporated on January 1, 1888. In 1986, First Merchants National Bank merged with Citizen's Bank to become First Citizens Bank. The Bank was renamed Horizon Bank in 1997.
The bank’s main office was located on the corner of 5th and Franklin Streets, which was believed to be the location of Michigan City's first structure. A log cabin was built there by Joseph Furman and his nephew, Joseph Bryant, for Samuel Miller, a trader with the Indians, who became the city's first permanent resident. The site became known as "Peck's Corner."