Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad Company
Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 14 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a pair of great vignettes. At the top, two Native Americans look down at a progressing river valley complete with a bridge, train and covered wagon. At the bottom the bust of another Native American is presented.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad (COG), known informally as the "Choctaw Route," operated in the states of the Arkansas, and Oklahoma. The company, originally known as the Choctaw Coal and Railway Company, completed its main line between West Memphis, Arkansas and western Oklahoma by 1900. In 1901 the COG chartered a subsidiary company, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad, to continue construction west into the Texas panhandle, and by 1902 the railroad had extended as far west as Amarillo.
The COG came under the control of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad (the "Rock Island") in 1902, and was formally merged into the Rock Island on January 1, 1948. The Memphis-Amarillo route remained an important main line for the Rock Island, hosting local and transcontinental freight traffic as well as passenger trains such as the Choctaw Rocket from 1940-1964.
The first line was built from Oklahoma City to McAlester, Oklahoma, (120 miles) via Dickson, Choctaw, Harrah, McLoud, Sunnyside, Dale, Shawnee, Earlsboro, Tracy, Seminole, Lima, Wewoka, Holdenville, Bilby, Agua, Calvin, Hill Top, Stuart, Whites, Barnett (Haywood), and Dods by October 1, 1895.
Additional key dates in the company’s history include:
Built from El Reno to Weatherford, Oklahoma, (50 miles) via Fort Reno, Calumet, Geary, Bridgeport, McCool, and Hydro (1898).
Purchased Choctaw and Memphis Railroad Company for $1,621,500 (June 30, 1900).
Leased trackage rights between Benton and Biddle (Hot Springs Junction), Arkansas, from Little Rock and Hot Springs Western Railroad Company (1900).
Purchased the Tecumseh Railway Company for $12,000 (October 12, 1900).
Built from Shawnee to Tecumseh, Oklahoma, (8 miles) via Spudland.
Built from Weatherford to Elk City, Oklahoma, (46 miles) via Indianapolis, Clinton, Parkersburg, Foss, and Canute (1901).
Purchased White River, Lonoke and Western Railroad Company (September 14, 1901).
Purchased Western Oklahoma Railroad Company (May 1, 1902).
Purchased Choctaw Northern Railroad Company for $1,027,500 (May 3, 1902).
Through stock purchase, fell under the control of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company (May 6, 1902).
Purchased Hot Springs Railroad Company (May 10,1902).
Relocated a 17-mile line between Haileyville and Wilburton, Oklahoma (1904).
Leased to Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company for 999 years (March 24, 1904).
Through 100% stock purchase controlled by Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company (1912).
Abandoned 6-mile line between Lehigh and North Coalgate, Oklahoma (1923).
Abandoned 23-mile line between Watonga and Homestead (November 11, 1926).
Relocated 5-mile line in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (1930).
Abandoned 33-mile line between Anthony, Kansas and Ingersoll, Oklahoma (1937).
Abandoned 84-mile line between Frisco Junction and Pittsburgh, Oklahoma (1940).
Consolidated into Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Company (January 1, 1948).