Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President, measures approximately 9 3/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette of Allegorical Justice flanked by a train crossing a bridge at the left and masted ship at the right.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway was one of the four “Granger Lines” (along with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; the Chicago & North Western; and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific) - all of which were critical to the northern central plains region. The Granger area in the decades after the Civil War might be described as the nine states from Illinois, Missouri and Kansas north to Canada. Seven of these grain-growing states were west of the Mississippi, while two (Illinois and Wisconsin) were to the east. All were economically subservient to Chicago, and to a lesser degree, St. Louis and the Twin Cities. Each of the four Granger railroads had Chicago as its main eastern terminal, and each of the four served at least 7 of the 9 states.
Incorporated in 1872, into this system went probably more predecessor lines than had been the case in any other railroad. Among the components, to name only a few, were the Milwaukee & Mississippi (the original start of the line, incorporated in 1847); the Milwaukee & Watertown; the Racine, Janesville & Mississippi; the Milwaukee & Northern; the Ontanagon & Brule River; the Wisconsin Union; the Menominee Branch; the Chicago & Pacific, and another 15 or so Midwestern lines.
The CM&SP started out as a short line west from Milwaukee. The promoters of the original line, the Milwaukee and Mississippi, hoped that their project would permit Milwaukee to rival Chicago as a lake port and rail center. Under the presidency of Alexander Mitchell, Milwaukee banker and insurance man, the road was extended to St. Paul shortly after the Civil War and had its own line into Chicago early in 1873.
Just before the turn of the centry, it was the largest of the Granger roads, with branches extending to Omaha and North and South Dakota. Still ambitious, the road added “Pacific” to its name, built to the coast between 1906 and 1909, and electrified more than 400 miles of its mountain line.