Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Chicago and Erie Railroad Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by Korff Bros. & Co., and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train rounding a bend.
This railway was formed in 1871 as the Chicago, Continental and Baltimore Railway, and renamed to the Chicago and Atlantic Railway in 1873. The western terminus was in the Chicago suburb of Hammond, Indiana, while the eastern terminus was at Marion, Ohio.
The road suffered financial difficulties, and went through several internal reorganizations and name changes. It went through bankruptcy in 1890, and emerged as the Chicago and Erie Railroad with John G. McCullough as its president.
In 1895, the road was purchased by the Erie Railroad, but retained its name and identity until it was consolidated in 1941.