Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Chicago and Cincinnati Railroad Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, measures approximately 10" (w) by 5 1/2" (h).
The vignette features a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
On September 25, 1857, the Chicago and Cincinnati Railroad was chartered in Indiana to build a line from Logansport northwest to Valparaiso. That line opened in 1861, connecting at Valparaiso with the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway to Chicago. The Cincinnati and Chicago Air–Line opened a bridge over the Wabash River at Logansport on September 25, 1861, connecting it to the Chicago and Cincinnati. Joint operation between Richmond and Chicago began July 1, 1862 and ended January 29, 1865.
In 1865, the Chicago & Cincinnati was merged with the Chicago & Great Eastern Railway Company.
On February 12, 1868, the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway was formed as a merger of the Columbus and Indiana Central Railway and Chicago and Great Eastern Railway.