Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Chateaugay and Lake Placid Railway Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which was printed by the American Bank Note Company, is signed by the company President and Treasurer, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train exiting a station.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Chateaugay Railroad (or Railway) was created by the Chateaugay Iron Company in 1879 to build a narrow-gauge rail line from Lyon Mountain to Dannemora to move ore and charcoal for its iron-making operations. The line was extended to Standish in 1885, to Loon Lake in 1886 (Robert Louis Stevenson rode the Chateaugay to Loon Lake), and to Saranac Lake in 1887. The Delaware and Hudson railroad financed the section to Saranac Lake, and then organized the dual-gauge Saranac and Lake Placid Railroad in 1890, opened in 1893; the standard-gauge section was run as a branch of the New York Central.
The D&H took control of the railroad in 1901, and in 1903, combined the Lake Placid line with the main line as the Chateaugay and Lake Placid Railway, and converted the entire line to standard gauge. The Saranac Lake to Lake Placid section was sold to the New York Central in 1946, and finally abandoned in 1972.