Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Chartiers Railway Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President, Treasurer and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette of a train crossing an arched river valley bridge. A factory can be seen at the base of the bridge.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Chartiers Creek was named after Peter Chartier, a trapper of French and Native American parentage who established a trading post at the mouth of Chartiers Creek in 1743. In 1831 the Washington & Pittsburg Railroad was chartered to build a rail link between Pittsburgh and Washington. Chartiers Creek was determined to be the easiest route, but enough financial support was not gathered. The same happened in 1837.
On February 7, 1853, the Chartiers Valley Railroad was formed to fulfill the failed task of the Washington & Pittsburg Railroad. Work was started, but when almost a third done in 1856, funds ran out. The road foreclosed in 1861, and the Right of Way was sold to William Howard a solicitor for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR).
In 1867, the Chartiers Railway Company was founded, and with PRR backing finished the line. On December 19, 1870, regular service began between Carnegie and Canonsburg. May 18, 1871, saw the beginning of service to Washington.
The line was leased to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway (PC&StL) on December 8, 1871. The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (PCC&StL) gained the lease when it was formed and acquired the road on November 20, 1907. The PCC&StL formed part of the PRR system.