Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Central Foundry Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a topless female figure surrounded by a variety of gears and industrial equipment.
The Central Foundry Company, with a capital stock of $14 million, was incorporated as a consolidation of 34 of the nation's principal cast iron soil pipe manufacturers. It operated as one concern, and some of the individual plants absorbed by the company were closed. In 1900 the company was operating 14 soil pipe foundries in different parts of the country with an aggregate daily capacity of about 500 tons of finished products.
By 1903 additional operations had been combined, and the number of foundries operated by the company was reduced to 9. There were 3 plants in Alabama at Anniston, Bessemer and Gadsden, and one plant each at Baltimore, Maryland; Medina, New York; Newark, New Jersey; Lansdale, Pennsylvania; South Pittsburgh, Tennessee; and Vincennes, Indiana.