Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from Central Aguirre Associates dating back to the 1940's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
Detailed vignette shows a sugar plantation complete with field workers and a burro.
The Central Aguirre Associates was organized in Massachusetts in 1928 as a holding company for the Central Aguirre Sugar Company. Before the end of that year it had acquired approximately 99 per cent of the outstanding shares of the Central Aguirre Sugar Company on the basis of four shares of Central Aguirre Associates for one share of Central Aguirre Sugar Company.
The Central Aguirre Sugar Company was incorporated in Porto Rico in 1918 as a reincorporation of the Central Aguirre Sugar Companies which was a voluntary trust organized in 1905 under the laws of Massachusetts. In 1920, this company acquired 72 per cent of the stock of Central Machete Company. It also owned the entire 16,200 outstanding shares of the Santa Isabel Sugar Company. Its properties were located on the south side of the island and near the port of Jobos.
The entire capital stock of the Ponce and Guayama Railroad Company which owned and operated 45 miles of railroad on the southeastern coast of Porto Rico, connecting the plantations with the sugar Centrals, was also owned by the Central Aguirre Sugar Company.