Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Carolina Power & Light Company dating back to the 1950's. This document, which contains the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Hamilton Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a pair of female allegorical figures flanking a hydroelectric power plant.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Carolina Power & Light Company (CP&L) was chartered in North Carolina on July 13, 1908. The creation of CP&L represented the merger of three existing companies, the Raleigh Electric Company, the Central Carolina Power Company, and the Consumer Light and Power Company. The fledgling CP&L had 983 Raleigh customers billed at a base rate of $1 per month and 15¢ per kilowatt-hour. Early expansion was in the Henderson and Oxford area with the 1911 acquisition of the Oxford Electric Company.
The following year, CP&L gained controlling interest in the Asheville Power and Light Company and bought the Goldsboro system, thus forming the basic service area of the company for years to come.
In 1952, CP&L added southeastern North Carolina to its service territory with the acquisition of Tide Water Power, following the death of Hugh MacRae.
In 1987, CP&L placed the Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant into service.
In 2002, subsequent to the 2000 acquisition of Florida Progress Corporation, CP&L began doing business as Progress Energy, Inc. It then distinguished its operations as Progress Energy Carolinas and Progress Energy Florida.
In 2011, Duke Energy acquired Progress Energy. CP&L was renamed Duke Energy Progress.