Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Carbon Steel Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by J. C. & W. E. Powers of New York, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
The Carbon Steel Company was originally a New Jersey corporation, incorporated July 28, 1892. On October 12, 1894, the corporation was transferred from New Jersey to West Virginia, and a charter issued to it in the latter state.
The company was best known for producing, via a sub-contract, steel for use on the gates for the Panama Canal. The company was investigated for fraud, with allegations claiming the samples provided for government inspectors was manufactured to a higher quality than the steel that was actually delivered.
The company went bankrupt in 1922.