Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Capital Traction Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 7" (h).
The certificate's vignette features the United States Capitol Building.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Washington and Georgetown Railroad was chartered on May 17, 1862, during the Civil War to build three street horsecar lines using the same track gauge as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (Standard gauge). The first streetcars were installed on Pennsylvania Avenue from Georgetown to the Washington Navy Yard. The first day of operation was July 29, 1862, and the entire system was completed on November 15. Later, lines were built along 7th Street and 14th Street. The system was so successful, that the initial three lines were extended and new lines were built.
In 1865, Sojourner Truth successfully led the fight to allow blacks to ride freely on Washington's streetcars. The streetcars were one of the few places in Washington free from racial segregation. After switching to cable cars in 1890 the line was acquired by the Rock Creek Railway in 1895 and the new company was named the Capital Traction Company. In December 1933, the Washington Railway and Electric Company merged with Capital Traction forming the Capital Transit Company. For the first time, all street railways in the Washington were under the same management.