Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Cape Girardeau Railway Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10" (w) by 14 3/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette shows a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Cape Girardeau Northern Railway Company was incorporated, at the instance of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Company on January 11, 1913, under the laws of Missouri, for a term of 999 years. The carrier was controlled by the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Company, which owned a majority of its capital stock. On April 13, 1914, foreclosure proceedings were begun, the company at an earlier date having defaulted in the payment of its bond interest, and the following day a receiver was appointed.
With the exception of 0.133 mile of road built by the carrier, its entire line was acquired by purchase on February 21, 1913, from the Chester, Perryville & Ste. Genevieve Railway Company, Cape Girardeau & Chester Railroad Company, Cape Girardeau & Thebes Bridge Terminal Railroad Company, and the Saline Valley Railroad Company. The mileage acquired from these companies was as follows:
- Cape Girardeau & Thebes Bridge Terminal Railroad Company; Ancell-Cape Girardeau 6.00
- Cape Girardeau & Chester Railroad Company; Cape Girardeau-Highland 44.69
- Chester, Perryville & Ste. Genevieve Railway Company; Highland-West Chester 19.63
- Saline Valley Railroad Company; Saline Junction-Farmington 35.00
Total mileage purchased was 105.32
The Cape Girardeau & Chester Railroad Company was successor to the St. Louis, Cape Girardeau & Southern Railroad Company, but acquired no mileage from it. The Chester, Perryville & Ste. Genevieve Railway Company was successor to the Chester, Perryville, Ste. Genevieve & Farmington Railroad Company. All six companies which thus became one were organized, and controlled and their properties were constructed by Louis Houck.