Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Henry Seibert & Bros. and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate contains a very detailed vignette of a passenger train in front of a river. A second train can be seen in the distance. Very ornate body and an excellent revenue stamp example.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was incorporated in Burlington, Iowa, in 1852. It commenced operations on January 1, 1856 with only a few miles of track. In 1857 it connected to Ottumwa, followed by Murray in 1858. It finally reached the Missouri River in November 1859. It used wood-burning locomotives and wooden passenger cars.
After the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad finished a bridge crossing the Mississippi River at Burlington, it connected to the B&MR. By 1868, the B&MR operated 13 locomotives and 429 cars, mostly freight.
A sub-branch of the railroad was founded in Nebraska in 1869, with rails first entering the state in 1870 via Plattsmouth. That summer, the railroad reached Lincoln, the recently designated state capital. It later continued to lay rails westward and eventually joining with the Union Pacific Railroad on September 3, 1872 at Kearney; this had the effect of linking traffic from southern Nebraska to the rest of the continent. That same year it began advertising "millions of acres of cheap land" as an incentive to prospective settlers to Iowa and Nebraska.
The B&MR was acquired by the CB&Q in 1872. At the time, it had begun laying tracks to Denver, Colorado. This line was finished by the CB&Q ten years later. After being acquired by the CB&Q, the B&MR served as its subsidiary, operating several lines in the Black Hills, including those acquired when CB&Q took over the Black Hills and Fort Pierre Railroad.