Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Buffalo and Lake Erie Traction Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President and either the Treasurer or Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features vignettes of the Pennsylvania and New York State Seals, an eagle on a shield and a trolley car.
The Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction Company was formed on December 24, 1906 through the consolidation of the Erie Electric Motor Company; the Hamburg Railway; the Buffalo, Dunkirk and Western; the Dunkirk and Fredonia; and the Lake Erie Fast Line.
The line originated on Clinton Street and Ellicott Street in Downtown Buffalo, continuing Clinton, Oak, Swan, Louisiana, Hamburg, Hamburg Turnpike and Lake Road on the way to Erie.
Service operated approximately every hour throughout the day, with a six-hour gap in service between 11:00pm and 5:00am.
In 1933, the service was operated as the Buffalo and Erie Railway, with service continuing to operate every hour, but with alternating trains operating only as far as Mackey's Corners. Service hours were also curtailed, beginning two hours later, and ending two hours earlier.
The Buffalo and Lake Erie Traction Company also operated a subsidiary bus service named Buffalo and Erie Coach Company, which began supplemental service in 1925. In 1935, the bus subsidiary was acquired by West Ridge Transportation Company, which in 1950, was consolidated into Central Greyhound Lines of New York.