British Mining Company
Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the British Mining Company dating back to the 1910's. This document is signed by the company President and Secretary and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 9 1/2" (h).
The British Mining Company was organized in Washington in 1911 and was based in Seattle.
By 1912, this organization held 31 claims and 4 millsites, totalling 654 acres newar Ruby Creek in the North Cascades. On an upper tributary of Thunder Creek, it built a dam, laid over 1,400 feet of 20-inch pipe, installed a 36-inch Pelton wheel with a 500-foot lead. Using air compressors, the miners drilled a 660-foot tunnel.
In 1913 the British Mining Company absorbed the Skagit Queen Consolidated Mining Company and received permission from the U. S. Forest Service to work the old Skagit Queen holdings.
However, it proved to be an unlucky venture and the company was soon bankrupt.