Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Brinson Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by the International Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
Very detailed vignette features a train steaming down the tracks alongside a river. Factories belch smoke into the sky in the background.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
The Savannah & Atlanta was originally known as the Brinson Railway, being named after the late George M. Brinson, who began construction of the line from Savannah to Springfield, 24 miles, in 1906. It was opened for traffic in 1907. The line was extended in 1909 to Newington, 19 miles, connecting at that point with the Savannah Valley Railroad operating between Egypt and Millhaven. The portion of the Savannah Valley Railroad from Egypt to Newington was later abandoned, leaving the 28-mile stretch from Newington to Millhaven.
The year 1911 brought a further extension of 25 miles, being from Millhaven to Sardis, 7 miles, thence to Waynesboro, 18 miles. In 1913 another extension was made, from Waynesboro to St. Clair, 12 miles (the line was later changed to run through Torbit).
In 1910 Mr. James Imbrie, representing the New York banking firm of William Morris Imbrie & Co., later known as Imbrie Co., became interested in the property. In that year and in 1913 Mr. Imbrie acquired control of the Brinson Railway.
On March 25, 1914, the name of the road was changed to Savannah & Northwestern Railway.
Mr. Imbrie on December 8, 1915 incorporated the Savannah & Atlanta Railway and constructed the line from St. Chair to Camak Junction, 33 miles, where a connection was made with the Georgia Railroad. Arrangements were made to operate over the tracks of the Georgia Railroad into Camak, 2.36 miles, where a connection was made with the Georgia Railroad's main line between Augusta, and Atlanta. This segment formed the connecting link between Savannah & Atlanta Railway,and the Georgia Railroad which established a through route from Savannah to Atlanta.
On July 16, 1917, the Savannah & Atlanta purchased the properties of the Savannah & Northwestern and thereafter the entire line of 141 miles was known as Savannah & Atlanta Railway.
In 1921 Imbrie & Co. went bankrupt, and because of such failure the S&A was thrown into receivership. C. E. Gay, Jr., who had been connected with the S&A since 1913 in such capacities as Traffic Manager, Vice President & General Manager, and later President, and Thomas B. Felder were appointed Receivers. Mr. Gay continued as General Manager to operate the property for the Receivers.
In 1929 Robert M. Nelson of Watch Hill, R.I. became interested in the property. Although conditions were adverse to a reorganization at that time, Mr. Nelson recognized the opportunity to make the railroad a profitable operation. On January 1, 1939 the S&A was reorganized and Mr. Gay was again made its president. He cooperated fully with Mr. Nelson in the industrial development program, in matters of finance and in general policies.
On August 22, 1951 the Central of Georgia RaiIway Company acquired ownership of the S&A for $3,500,000. The Central acquired not only the S&A's 141-mile main line from Savannah to Camak Junction, but approximately 4,000 acres of land suitable for industrial and necessary residential purposes.