Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Bridgeport Hardware Manufacturing Corporation dating back to the 1940's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Franklin Lee Division of the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a large manufacturing plant.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Bridgeport Hardware Manufacturing was originally founded in 1895 by Willis F. Hobbs as the Bridgeport Manufacturing Company, with an initial location on Knowlton Street in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Willis Hobbs had been involved previously in other business partnerships in Bridgeport, including the Wilmot & Hobbs Manufacturing Company and later a partnership with E.N. Sperry. Hobbs was an active inventor and received a number of patents for products produced by the company.
In 1900 the company built a new factory and moved to 461 Iranistan Avenue, but a fire in 1902 forced a temporary move to other quarters. In 1902 the company was reorganized as the Bridgeport Hardware Manufacturing Corporation.
The company was successful and grew steadily, and by 1915 had about 200 employees.
The company made a wide variety of tools, with many of them produced as a contract manufacturer for other companies. The tools were frequently marked with the company's initials BHM. They also used a number of unregistered brands for its products, including "Matchless", "Hy-Bar", “Sure Grip”, “Radio-Lectric.”