Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Bridgeport Gas Light Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a fantastic gas works scene complete with storage tanks, a train, barges and a horse drawn wagon.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
By 1849 the concept of using gas for lighting purposes had spread to the town of Bridgeport, Connecticut, where the Bridgeport Gas Light Company was formed on April 22, with a capitalization of $75,000. According to an article in the May 17, 1940, issue of the Bridgeport Times-Star, "Women were at the bottom of the original movement to form a gas company in Bridgeport. The good ladies in their mansions on Golden Hill grew indignant at the fuss of making candles or trimming oil lamps at a time when gas had been in use in other cities for some years."
After two years of operation, Bridgeport Gas served 76 customers and illuminated lamps on 26 public streets from a plant on Housatonic Ave. Through 1901, the company's first presidents included Henry K. Harral, Hanford Lyon, Amos S. Treat, and William R. Rigby.
In 1955, the Bridgeport Gas Light Company changed its name to the Bridgeport Gas Company.
In 1967, Bridgeport Gas merged with New Haven Gas Light to form Southern Connecticut Gas.