Boyden Steel Corporation
Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Boyden Steel Corporation dating back to the 1920's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a trio of allegorical figures - a warrior with a sword and two semi-nude males. One of the males holds a sickle, the other a gear.
The Boyden Steel Corporation was incorporated in Maryland in 1920 with a capital of $100,000,000 to manufacture railroad trucks and railroad appliances.
Located in the Baltimore's Keyser Building, the company took over the Boyden Co-ordinating Car Corporation. With it, the company gained control of five patents on a new design railroad car truck.
The company was headed by George A. Boyden. Boyden was also the inventor of the Boyden airbrake patents sold to the Westinghouse interests and, for a time, were used on every railroad car in the country.