Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Boston, Newport and New York Steamboat Company dating back to the 1860's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was a litho of A. Meisel of Boston, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features the paddlewheeler Metropolis at the top. A small vignette of a masted ship appears at the bottom of the piece.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The first steamboat communication between Fall River, Massachusetts and New York was inaugurated in 1847 by the organization of the Bay State Steamboat Company with a capital of $300,000. The first steamer commenced her trips in May of that year. This was the " Bay State," three hundred and twenty feet long, with a tonnage of sixteen hundred, commanded by Capt. Joseph I. Comstock. The alternate boat was the steamer "Massachusetts," which was chartered until the completion of the " Metropolis" in 1864. This steamer was three hundred and fifty feet in length, with a capacity of two thousand two hundred tons.
The conception of the organization of this favorite through route of travel between Boston and New York, via Fall River, was largely due to Col. Richard Borden, by whom also the railroad was projected and mainly constructed. Other business men were interested in this latter movement and aided in its development, among whom were Andrew Robeson, Sr., who was its first president, his successor, Hon. Nathaniel B. Borden, and David Anthony, who was treasurer.
Jefferson Borden was also most prominent in the management, and shared with his brother Richard in the organization of the steamboat line. Until 1846 there had been no communication direct from Fall River by steam or rail with either Boston or New York.
The Bay State Steamboat Company in course of time passed into the control of the Boston, Newport and New York Steamboat Company, which was eventually sold to the Narragansett Steamboat Company in 1869 -- forming the Fall River Line. Jay Gould became President of the line in 1872 and eventually sold the Fall River Line to the Old Colony Railroad in 1874.