Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Boston and New York Air Line Railroad Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which was printed by the American Bank Note Company, is signed by the company President and Assistant Treasurer. It is issued to Yale University, and measures approximately 13 1/2" (w) by 9 1/4" (h).
This certificate's beautiful vignette features a locomotive on a turntable.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The "Air Line" was originally known as the New York & Boston Railroad chartered in 1846, to provide the shortest rail route, or "air line," between those two cities. The city of Middletown, Connecticut notes in an essay of their town's heritage that the system was reorganized as the New Haven, Middletown & Willimantic Railroad in 1867.
It ran from a connection at New Haven to Willimantic, opening for service on April 25, 1873, according to an essay by Philip Blakeslee entitled, A Brief History Of Lines West: The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company. The well-engineered NHM&W was expensive to build although it offered a 25-mile shorter route to Boston than the Shore Line's. It ultimately failed and was reorganized as the Boston & New York Air-Line Railroad.
The B&NYA-L went on to join the much larger New York & New England, a future New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad property.