Only 1 Available!

Boston and Fishkill Iron Company


SKU: 2327
Product Details

Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Boston and Fishkill Iron Company dating back to the 1860's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Snyder, Black & Sturn and measures approximately 17 1/4" (w) by 11" (h).


This certificate features a pair of beautiful vignettes - a train in the country at the left and a mining scene at the bottom.


12 coupons remain attached at the bottom margin.


Very rare piece! Only a few known issued examples exist.

You will receive the exact certificate pictured. PLEASE NOTE there are fold split repairs on the verso.

Historical Context

The Boston and Fishkill Iron Company was incorporated in New York in 1869, and failed later that year.

Fishkill, located in Dutchess County, New York, is in the former territory of the Wappinger people. It was part of the Rombout Patent granted to Francis Rombouts, Gulian VerPlanck, and Stephanus Van Cortlandt of New Amsterdam in 1685. The name "Fishkill" evolved from two Dutch words, vis (fish) and kil (stream or creek). In 1714, Dutch immigrants settled in the area. The village of Fishkill was a significant crossroads in the overland transportation network in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Kings Highway, connecting Albany to New York City, intersected with a major overland route from New England to the Hudson River. Among the first to occupy the land now within the village limits were Johannes Ter Boss and Henry Rosecrance.

By 1716 the settlers wanted their own Dutch Reformed church so they would not have to cross the river to Kingston or New Paltz to worship. A congregation was established and the church building was finished in 1731. The first Dominie (minister) who arrived from the Netherlands in 1731 served churches in Poughkeepsie and Fishkill. The church was used as a military prison during the American Revolution. The fourth New York Provincial Congress met in the church in 1776, making Fishkill the state capital, until the Congress moved to Kingston in 1777.

Fishkill became part of one of the largest colonial military encampments during the Revolutionary War. General Washington's aide-de-camp Alexander Hamilton took residence here. The Trinity Church, on Hopewell Avenue in the village, was organized in 1756 and the structure built in 1760. It was used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War.