Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Benedict-Manson Marine Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Curtiss & Bradley of New Haven, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a great vignette of a steamer on open waters.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Benedict-Manson Marine Company was incorporated by Magnus Manson on February 23, 1906 in New Haven, Connecticut.
Manson was born in Scotland and arrived in New Haven as a crew member on a vessel carrying coal. He jumped ship and went to work on a vessel owned by H.W. Bendict and Son coal dealers. Mr. Benedict after a short time gave Manson command of the “J.W. Hine”.
He continued to command vessels in the coasting trade such as the three-masted schooner “James Boyce” that carried coal to Boston. Over the next 40+ years, Captain Manson commanded or acquired an interest in many vessels. In 1889 he had his first schooner built which he named “Agnes E. Manson” after his second child.
Manson was the Benedict-Manson Marine Company's President until his death in 1909. The company continued in business with their sailing fleet until 1916 when unable to meet the competition of barges and steamers they went out of business.
During the ten years of its existence, the Benedict-Manson Marine Company had no less then 27 three, four and one five masted-schooners. They were primarily involved in carrying coal and timber.