Baltimore Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company of Baltimore City
This product is sold out
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Baltimore Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company of Baltimore City dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 9 3/4" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a detailed dry dock scene including a ship under construction. Topless female allegorical figures frame the company name.
The Columbian Iron Works and Dry Dock Company was founded by William T. Malster who later partnered with William B. Reaney. The company opened for business on July 16, 1880 and was located on 8 acres adjacent to Ft. McHenry where it leased the property from the Baltimore Dry Dock Company.
The company built several early vessels of the United States Navy and US Coast Guard, including the USRC Seminole, USS Detroit, USS Plunger, USS Montgomery, USS Foote, USS Rodgers and the USS Tingey. the company also built the Argonaut, a submarine designed by Simon Lake.
The company went into receivership in 1899 and was reorganized as Baltimore Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company and was purchased by William B. Skinner and Sons in 1905.
In 1915, Skinner and Sons went into receivership and was reorganized as the Baltimore Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Corporation, which was taken over by Bethlehem Steel in September 1921.