Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railway Company dating back to the 1800's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train at a station with a horse drawn carriage waiting nearby. A small dog adorns the company name.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern was incorporated July 31, 1899, under the general laws of Ohio and Indiana, as a consolidation of the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Parkersburg Railway Company and the Cincinnati, Louisville and Vincennes Railway Company.
The main line extended from Belpre, Ohio, on the Ohio River opposite Parkersburg, West Virginia, westerly through Chillicothe and Cincinnati, Ohio, and Vincennes, Indiana, to East St. Louis, Illinois, a distance of about 528 miles. The company had many branch lines, the most important extending from Marietta to Belpre, Hamden to Portsmouth, and Blanchester to Hillsboro (all in Ohio;) Rivervale to Bedford, and North Vernon to New Albany, Indiana; and from Shawneetown to Beardstown, Illinois.
This company also owned additional property at Louisville, Kentucky, and St. Louis, Missouri, which cities were reached by means of trackage rights over other railroads. This property, which formed the major part of the main line from Cumberland, Maryland, to St. Louis, Missouri, totaled over 930 miles of road.