Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Atlantic & St. Lawrence Railroad Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company representative for the President and the company Treasurer, was printed by the Continental Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a beautiful locomotive.
The Atlantic & St. Lawrence Rail Road, the first line built from Portland, Maine, to Montreal, Quebec, was established to carry traffic from the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence waterway to an Atlantic port. Chartered in February 1845, ground was broken in July of the following year; the last segment of the line was finally opened in July 1853.
Leased by the Grand Trunk Railway, the Atlantic & St. Lawrence became part of the Canadian National system. Its corporate name was dissolved in 1959.