Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Atlantic, Quebec and Western Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by F. W. Potter & Co. of London, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 17" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a passenger train steaming down the tracks.
The Atlantic, Quebec and Western Railway Company was formed under Special Acts of the Parliament and the Province of Quebec) for the purpose of constructing, equipping, and working a standard gauge railway of a total length 362 miles.
The route proposed was divided into two sections:
The Interior Section. Starting from the deep water harbour of Gaspé, this line ran in a westerly direction through the interior of Gaspé County to Amgui, on the Intercontiental Railway, and thence southerly to a point near Edmundston—an important junction on the St. John River—where connection was made with the Canadian Pacific system and the proposed Grand Trunk Pacific Line. The total length of the interior section was approximately 260 miles.
The Coast Section. Starting from a point on the Interior Section at or near Gaspé Harbour, this line skirted the coast in a southerly direction, passing through numerous rising townships, including Douglas, New Port, Port Daniel, Hope, Cox, and terminating at or near Paspebiac on the Atlantic and Lake Superior Railway. The total length of the Coast Section was approximately 102 miles.