Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the American Hoist & Derrick Company dating back to the 1970's. This document, which contains the printed signatures of a company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a man sitting on anvil, surrounded by a pulley, sledgehammer and gear.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Franklin Manufacturing Company was established in 1884 by Frank Johnson and Oliver Crosby in St. Paul, Minnesota. One year later Franklin Manufacturing Company changed its name to American Manufacturing Company. A wire rope clamp designed to loop wire cable without the losing the integrity of the wire was invented by Oliver Crosby in 1886. American Manufacturing Company invented further enhancements to the construction industry by establishing steam powered hoists in 1889 and the largest electric hoists up to 15 hp.
In 1892 American Manufacturing Company became known as American Hoist & Derrick for 106 years. The first mobile crane was invented in 1895 called the Traveling Derrick. It consisted of a revolving derrick and steam hoist mounted on a rail-car like wheels. The ditcher, flatcar mounted crane designed to scoop out dirt on either side of the railroad, was invented by Oliver Crosby in 1904. The first crawler was established in 1923 and made cranes mobile. The company became international when the Yokohama Warehouse was constructed in 1905. Major construction projects such as the Panama Canal and Mount Rushmore used cranes from American Hoist & Derrick. American Hoist & Derrick reached 467 on the Fortune 500 list with a total revenue of $464.2 million.
In 1985 American Hoist & Derrick changed its name to Amdura and in that same year a group of investors purchased the business. The result of the purchase was a new company called the American Crane Corporation.