Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the American Gyro Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Rocky Mountain Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 5 3/4" (h).
This certificate's great vignette features an eagle behind the company initials.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The American Gyro Company was incorporated in Colorado in 1931 and was based in Denver.
The company was originally involved in the production of aviation accessories, but branched out into aeronautics. Their airplane was the AG-4 Crusader (the Crusader Aircraft Corporation was American Gyro's parent company.) It was originally called the Shelton Flying-Wing, although it did not resemble any later flying wing types. It was an all-metal airplane, with twin-boom, twin-engine, twin-empennage, much like the soon-to-be manufactured P-38. The engines were two 125hp Menasco C-4s.
The fuselage was a nacelle suspended between the booms. In the original, the wheels did not retract. Later in 1935, the landing gear was modified and made retractable. In the image below, it appears as if the airplane has retractable gear. The fixed-gear version had large fairings around the wheels and struts.
In 1936, American Gyro sold the plans for the Crusader to the Timm Aircraft Company, which proposed to build a retractable-gear AG-7. However, financing problems prevented any further development and/or production.
The Crusader Aircraft Corporation filed for bankruptcy in 1938, but American Gyro hung on independently through the 1940's.