Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Aluminum Company of Canada dating back to the 1950's. This document, which contains the printed signatures of the company President as well as two Authorized Officers, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 15" (h).
This certificate's interesting vignette features a man holding an aluminum ingot.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Northern Aluminium Company Limited was founded in 1902, in Shawinigan, Quebec, Canada, as part of the Pittsburgh Reduction Company. In 1913, the company opened a kitchen utensil production plant and foundry in Toronto. It opened a rolling mill in the plant a few years later.
During the First World War, aluminium production shot to 131,000 tonnes from 69,000.
In 1925, the company was renamed the Aluminium Company of Canada. The Aluminium Company of Canada was responsible for rapid development in Arvida, today a part of the city of Saguenay in Quebec, by contributing to the construction of major ports and railway facilities. It began production at its sheet rolling and extrusion facility in Ontario in 1940.
In 1931, the Northern Aluminium Co. Ltd. or Alcan Industries Ltd. pig and rolled Aluminium factory was opened on land acquired in 1929 in the then hamlet of Hardwick, Oxfordshire, UK. The factory helped build parts for Spitfire fighter aircraft during the Second World War. The Alcan Laboratories Club was founded in 1948 by the lab technicians to promote the well-being of the workforce in general. As a result, the village began to grow. By the early 1950s, the local economy had become dependent on the plant's prosperity, with 24% of the town's workers being employed there. At this time 13% were employed in distribution, 7% in clothing and 5% in agriculture.
With the onset of World War II, the Allies' demand for aluminum expanded rapidly, and with it the company. Already encompassing roughly three-quarters of the production capacity for aluminum in the British Empire, the company's "assets increased fivefold; sales increased fivefold; net income increased sixfold" between 1937 and 1944, according to a report on commissioned by the Government of Canada. The governments of the UK, Canada, the United States, and Australia facilitated this growth with low-interest loans and tax deferrals.
In 1945, the Aluminium Company of Canada was officially registered under the trade name Alcan. Sales fell substantially in the immediate aftermath of the War, but rebounded with postwar expansion, as aluminum was increasingly in use in construction, by electrical utilities, and in manufacturing. In 1951, it initiated a $500-million project at Kitimat, British Columbia, the largest public-private partnership ever introduced in Canada at the time.
Despite a June 1950 antitrust ruling that forced shareholders divest themselves of shares in either Aluminum Limited (as the company was then known) or Alcoa, and the rise of American rivals Kaiser and Reynolds, Alcan remained a dominant player in the aluminum sector for many subsequent decades.
In 1994 Alcan sold their building products unit (with a plant in Scarborough, Ontario) to Genstar Capital Corporation and the location later closed and demolished.
In 2007, Rio Tinto acquired Alcan Inc., after a $38 billion deal.