Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Allegheny Improvement Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by John Scullin as the company President, was printed by the Western Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 14 1/4" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette shows a train steaming past a riverfront town.
The Allegheny Improvment Company was incorporated in Missouri in 1906 to build a line for the Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad Company.
The line ran from Harrison to Helena, Arkansas.
John Scullin was the Chairman of the Board of Scullin Steel Company. After starting his business career selling stoves, he went to work in the railroad business as a brakeman before establishing himself as a railroad contractor.
His largest project was the construction of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad in 1870. He came to St. Louis in 1875 and constructed several streetcar lines there. He later worked as a financier and founded the steel company.