Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Allegany Central Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Snyder & Black, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 16 1/4" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a train, a farming scene and the New York State Seal.
This great bond also contains over a page and a half of coupons.
The Allegany Central Railroad was incorporated early in 1881 and on November 21, 1881, merged with the Olean Railroad and the Friendship Railroad. In 1882, the line completed a 36-inch narrow-gauge railroad from Olean to Swains, New York, designed to serve the Allegany County oil fields centered on Bolivar and Richburg.
The Allegany Central’s managers soon saw an even more expansive future for the railroad and chartered the Lackawanna & Pittsburgh Railroad Company on November 1, 1882, into which the Allegany Central was merged on July 1, 1883.