The Utica Belt Line Street Railroad Company began service in 1896, replacing the previous services of the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton Railroad Company.
In 1901, the company's lines were taken over by the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway Company.
The Utica Belt Line Street Railroad consisted of four suburban lines; extending to Oriskany, Whitesboro, New York Mills and New Hartford. A branch line also existed to Capron.
Six different lines also operated in the city of Utica, proper.
Also the company had a franchise agreement for extending it's New Hartford line five miles connecting to villages south of Utica.
In total, the Utica Belt Line Railroad operated about seventy-five cars.