The Utica and Mohawk Rail Road Company was incorporated in New York on January 8, 1874. The company operated 2.75 miles of track from Genessee Street to Utica Park. Company offices were located at the corner of Bleecker and Charlotte Streets in Utica.
On November 27, 1901 the line was merged with the Utica Belt Line Street Railroad Company to form the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway Company.
Two days later, the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway Company acquired the following lines:
- Utica Suburban Railway Company
- Deerfield and Utica Railroad Company
- Herkimer, Mohawk, Ilion and Frankfort Electric Railway Company
- Frankfort and Utica Street Railway Company
- Little Falls and Herkimer Street Railway Company