Phillip Best Brewing Company

3 products

    In Milwaukee, Jacob Best founded a brewery on Chestnut Street Hill called Empire Brewery, which he ran with his sons, Phillip, Jacob Jr., Charles, and Lorenz. Charles and Lorenz soon withdrew from the company, with Charles establishing the Plank Road Brewery (now called Miller Brewing Company). His daughter Margaretha married Moritz Schoeffler, a prominent newspaper editor who founded The Wisconsin Banner. Empire Brewery produced 300 barrels in its first year of operation. The name was changed to Best and Company and became one of the most successful breweries in Milwaukee.

    After Jacob Sr. retired in 1853, Phillip and Jacob Jr. continued operations as a partnership. The Best brewery was renamed to Phillip Best Brewery. Phillip's sons-in-law, Emil Schandein and Captain Frederick Pabst later bought the brewery from Phillip. When Phillip died, his wife Lisette Best became vice-president. By 1874 Phillip Best Brewing Co. was the nation's largest brewer thanks to the constant supplying of Chicago after the Great Chicago Fire.

    The brewery was renamed the Pabst Brewing Company and remained at the same location along Chestnut Street (now Juneau Avenue) until closure of the complex in 1997.

    3 products
    Sold Out
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate
    Phillip Best Brewing Company
    $35.00
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate
    Phillip Best Brewing Company
    $35.00
    Sold Out
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate Signed by Frederick Pabst
    Phillip Best Brewing Company Stock Certificate Signed by Frederick Pabst
    Phillip Best Brewing Company (Signed by Frederick Pabst)
    $275.00
    Recently viewed