Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh Rail Road Company
Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh Rail Road Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 14 3/4" (w) by 9 1/4" (h).
The certificate features a stunning triple vignette, featuring Niagara Falls, a train and a variation of the New York State Seal.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
The Watertown and Rome Railroad Company was incorporated on April 17, 1832, and its road opened September 18, 1851. On April 11, 1860, the line purchased the property and franchises of the Potsdam and Watertown Railroad Company, which had been incorporated February 15, 1852. On July 10, 1861, the company changed its corporate title to Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh Railroad Company, effective as of August 23, 1861.
On October 22, 1874, the Rome Watertown and Ogdensburgh Railroad Company and the Lake Ontario Railroad Company reorganized as the second company bearing the name of the Rome Watertown and Ogdensburgh Railroad Company was incorporated.
A third corporation bearing the same name was formed by an agreement of consolidation dated October 19, 1875, with The Syracuse and Northern Railroad Company, which had been incorporated February 25, 1868, under the name of the Syracuse Northern Railroad Company, its road opened in 1872, sold under foreclosure proceedings July 31, 1875, and reorganized September 22, 1875.
The final company was formed by an agreement of consolidation dated March 14, 1885, with the Oswego Railroad Bridge Company, a corporation chartered April 22, 1872. This company added to itself by merger, under authority of the laws of the State of New York, the property and franchises of the following companies:
On August 7, 1889, the Norwood and Montreal Railroad Company, incorporated March, 1884, and its road opened September, 1886. On the same date, the Syracuse Phoenix and Oswego Railway Company, incorporated February 16, 1885. This company was formed on April 22, 1886, by consolidation of The Syracuse Phoenix and Oswego Railway Company (incorporated February 16, 1885, as a reorganization of The Syracuse Phoenix and Oswego Railroad Company, incorporated June 10, 1875, by consolidation of The Syracuse North Western Railroad Company, incorporated September 19, 1874, and Syracuse Phoenix and Oswego Railroad Company, incorporated November 29, 1871, sold January 31, 1885) and Fulton and Oswego Railroad Company (incorporated December 18, 1885). On April 28, 1890, the Rome Watertown and Ogdensburg Terminal Railroad Company, incorporated June 22, 1886, and opened in 1887. This company was formed by merger on February 21, 1888, of the Windsor Beach and Ontario Railroad Company (incorporated November 30, 1887) and the Rochester and Lake Beach Railroad Company (incorporated February 1, 1888) the latter company having, on August 5, 1887, purchased the Rochester and Ontario Belt Railway Company, which was incorporated January 31, 1882.
The railroads and property of the following named companies were leased by the Rome Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad Company:
Carthage Watertown and Sackets Harbor Railroad Company, The Niagara Falls Branch Railroad Company, Oswego and Rome Railroad Company, The Utica and Black River Railroad Company.
The Rome Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad was leased for the term of the corporate existence of the lessor company to the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company on March 14, 1891. Consolidation into the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company was finalized on April 16, 1913.